'30 Minutes or Less' trailer offers Eisenberg, McBride, and insanity
The director of 'Zombieland' looks to have another hit on his hands
Ruben Fleischer was pretty much offered the world after "Zombieland" came out. He was given opportunities to choose between several different films, and he eventually chose to direct "30 Minutes Or Less."
Early word from people close to the film is fairly rabid on this one, and with today's release of the first red-band trailer for the film, I'm excited about getting a look at it later in the year. The script for the film by Michael Diliberti made the Black List a few years ago, and it looks to have been a real draw for some of the funniest people in film right now.
Jesse Eisenberg stars as a pizza delivery guy who is abducted by two guys (played by Danny McBride and Nick Swardson) who strap a bomb to him and order him to rob a bank. Now, this actually happened to a guy, and the real story was sort of tragic and insane and bizarre, but it does seem like a great jumping-off point for a truly manic comedy, and the trailer does a nice job of setting things up without ruining the entire movie.
In particular, I like the idea of Jesse Eisenberg and Aziz Ansari as friends. You wanna talk about two totally different types of energy playing off of each other… that seems like it sets up some outstanding opportunities, and even in this little glimpse at the movie, they've got great natural chemistry.
And on the other side of the equation, you've got McBride and Swardson, and we're at an interesting moment for McBride on the big screen. I'm no fair-weather fan… I think the guy is wildly talented and I'm enjoying the work he's doing… but I can acknowledge that Hollywood's taken a number of shots on him at this point, and studios hold movies like "Land Of The Lost" and "Your Highness" against you if they don't work. So far, the greatest successes he's had in films have been as part of larger ensembles, like in "Pineapple Express" or "Tropic Thunder," and maybe that's just the way it's going to work. I don't think anything he's done in any film so far even comes close to the brilliance of "East Bound And Down," but I'll be happy to watch whatever McBride does in the future, so I hope this film connects. I'd hate for Hollywood to give up on him.
You can see the red-band trailer on the official Facebook page for the movie now, and then "30 Minutes Or Less" will be in theaters August 12, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013