Could Seth Rogen be taking a road trip with... Barbra Streisand?!
Possible co-starring project in development at Dreamworks
Big day for Seth Rogen. He's one of the people invited by the Academy to join as a voting member today, along with his "40-Year-Old Virgin" and "Knocked Up" co-star Paul Rudd. I love that many of the names on the list are people under 40 today. That's important. We need to get as many young Academy members in there and active as possible to help counteract the votes of the 130-year-old mummies who keep voting for things like "Driving Miss Daisy" to win Best Picture.
Seth's starring role in "Funny People" this summer is impressive, and a real sign of just how much he grows as an actor from film to film. I like that he's challenging himself to do something outside his comfort zone on "The Green Hornet," and that he seems open to anything that interests him and not just movie star vehicles that "serve his brand," like some actors.
He's developing about 300,000 projects at the moment, and any one of them could or couldn't happen, depending on how the stars align. I heard about one today, though, that's worth a mention just because of the rather unorthodox casting that could happen if the film makes it through development.
Would you go see a road comedy with Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand co-starring? Because I'm pretty sure I would.
[more after the jump]
Streisand has always been far better in comedy than straight drama, in my opinion. Her work with Bogdanovich is a great example, but even in "Meet The Fockers" a few years ago, she proved that no matter how big her image is, she still seems game for tweaking it and playing against expectation onscreen. I give her a lot of credit for being willing to explode a public persona as carefully cultivated as hers has been over the years.
And a movie called "Mother's Curse" sounds like a natural pairing of these two. I still think one of the great delights of Albert Brooks's "Mother" is the simple energy between Brooks and Debbie Reynolds. We all have mothers, and the humor that comes from those relationships as we become adults is pretty much an endless source of material if played right.
I know that they're still working on the script to this one, and there may be more rewrites ahead in the near future. When I asked Seth about the film, he referred to it as "one of the many projects I may or may not do in the next fifteen years," which is a fair description. So keep in mind... I'm not saying this will or won't happen... just that it could. This is one of the pet projects of Adam Goodman, the Dreamworks executive who just made the jump to Paramount as the new head of production, so I would expect that if this gets made, it'll get made as a Dreamworks/Paramount co-production at this point.
I love that I live and work in a Hollywood where Seth Rogen is that busy. Something's gone terribly right somewhere, and that gives me hope. Let's see how things shape up on this one, and if it does come together, I'm curious to see exactly what the "Mother's Curse" is.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013