Trailer Premiere: Mike Judge's 'Extract' starring Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis and Ben Affleck
The latest movie from the creator of 'Office Space' and 'Beavis and Butt-head'
I was sent some information about "Extract" this morning, including the following, which is the official synopsis:
"Extract" is the latest comedy from writer/director Mike Judge ("Office Space, "King of the Hill," "Beavis and Butt-Head"). Joel, played by Jason Bateman, is one step away from selling his flavor extract factory and retiring to easy street when a freak workplace accident sets in motion a series of disasters that put his business and personal life in jeopardy. The film also stars Kristen Wiig, Mila Kunis, and Ben Affleck.
Sounds pretty good to me. And now, thanks to the fine folks over at Miramax, we've got your first look at the first trailer for the film. This should be airing on "Entertainment Tonight" this evening, but we've got a version for you that we guarantee is 100% annoying Mary Hart voiceover free.
[check out the trailer after the jump]
I love that Miramax is already putting out trailers and posters for this one, and I'll tell you why: it suggests that maybe Mike Judge isn't going to get boned this time. I think both of his live-action features are very good and deserved a wider audience. "Office Space" found some success on home video, and that's good to see, but "Idiocracy" is still the bastard child of Judge's career, and that's a shame. Fox had no idea what to do with the film, and even when they finally did release it, it was in a few theaters, and there was absolutely no marketing money spent on it.
I've seen a few people saying that releasing this one in the gap between the summer movies and the big fall releases suggests that Miramax is "dumping" the film. I'd argue the opposite. This isn't a giant movie with giant set pieces and giant stars. This is a small character comedy from a cult-friendly filmmaker, a guy who has never had a huge success in live-action. It's April, and we're already seeing a poster and a trailer and some effort to create some awareness. That's not a dump by any definition. In fact, it looks like finally someone is doing their part to actually sell a Mike Judge movie. And that is a huge step in the right direction.
So what do you guys think of the trailer? Interested yet?
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Babble.com: 8 Parenting Lessons To Learn From 'Arrested Development' WATCH: New 'Arrested' Clip You Probably Haven't Seen What Is Up With Rob Lowe's Face? The Actor On His Crazy 'Candelabra' Role
And if so, what does his character name suggest for the future?Saturday, May 25, 2013
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013