HitFix and Ain't It Cool present our first joint screening at The New Beverly
'Ishtar' and 'Joe Vs The Volcano' at a criminally underrated double-bill
THIS IS A REPOST TO REMIND YOU!
This Wednesday and Thursday night, Ain't It Cool News and HitFix are teaming up with the awesome New Beverly Cinema to present a double-feature of films that do not deserve the bad reputation they got when they were first released. Mr. Beaks, aka Jeremy Smith, is going to be presenting the hilarious "Ishtar," and I plan on singing along with every single one of the insane Paul Williams songs in the film. Afterwards, I'll be presenting "Joe Vs. The Volcano," John Patrick Shanley's romantic and silly story of a man, a brain cloud, and three suspiciously similar women.
That's April 1st and 2nd, but it's not a joke. We really are screening these films at 7:30 and 9:40, and they really do deserve your respect. I find it infuriating when a movie comes out, makes no money, and yet everyone decides that they hate it, even though no one saw it. It's okay to call a film that fails financially a "bomb" in financial terms, but how can there be a public concensus if no one sees the film? How does that group think set in?
I know that with "Ishtar," a lot of it was because of the various reports of out-of-control budget before the film was released. For some reason, the press decided that they were going to freak out on behalf of every single dollar spent, sight unseen. And with "Joe," it baffles me how the combination of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, box-office magic every other time it happened, did absolutely nothing to help push this romantic fairy tale into the public eye.
I hope to see you at one of the double-features, and if there's a good turn-out, maybe we can present even more screenings at this great venue in the months to come.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013
One of the strangest moments of my online career involved the legendary musicianMonday, May 20, 2013
Instead, he explains how he feels the new film defines the whole trilogyMonday, May 20, 2013