Is McG Really Making '20,000 Leagues'?
And is Will Smith ready to go under the sea with him?
So Latino Review just ran a piece on their site about a chat they had with director McG after the "Terminator: Salvation" roadshow exhibition they attended in New York. In it, they say McG is interested in getting Will Smith onboard to star as Captain Nemo.
Not what I've heard.
As I said the other day when the project was announced, there was already a "20,000 Leagues" project in development with Sam Raimi producing for New Line. That one was written by Craig Titley, and at one point, David Fincher was interested in directing it. That was written for a real Indian lead to step in and play Nemo, which is the only way it really works authentically.
Now, I'm hearing the Bill Marsilli drafts have been tossed completely, and that McG is telling the studio he wants to redevelop the material from scratch with new writers. And while those new writers are being hired, McG is closing his deal which promises to pay him $10 million if he makes it.
I don't think he will, though. Because I think there's another level to the game that's being played. See, McG is negotiating right now with Warner Bros. to come back and make a fifth "Terminator" film, and now he can bring this Disney quote to them and demand $10 million and 10% of the gross, which is what he wants. And if Warner says yes, then expect "20,000 Leagues" to take a distant backseat to that project.
Fascinating stuff, and we'll definitely keep an eye on things as they progress.
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013