Watch: Paul Dano and Jon Heder bring the noise to Sundance's 'For Ellen'
The art of White Snake: getting drunk in a motel in order to dance
PARK CITY -- Look closely at actor Paul Dano. You might see a little Sabbath in there.
The actor -- who also happens to be an active musician -- looked to artists like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Ozzy for his role as touring musician Joby in Sundance pick "For Ellen." Joby is more of a modern radio rock guy in a band still "making it," so Dano also listened to those brand of bands while driving around L.A.
"Not my cup of tea," he told me during our interview at the film festival. But, after driving the Strip, "I kinda got it."
"For Ellen" focuses its lens on the other side of the cutthroat industry, the quiet moments in homes with a daughter without a dad, when the money doesn't come in for support. It gently extrapolates on what happens when a rocker isn't rocking.
It was certainly a change of pace for co-star Jon Heder, who plays a mother-whipped small town lawyer aiding Joby through the sale of his and his ex's house.
"It was the quietest I've ever been on a film set," said the man whose most recognizable role is Napoleon Dynamite. "With these indie filmmakers, the directing styles are so different... I wanna do more."
One of the loudest parts of the small-budget drama is, delightfully, a dance sequence: Joby gets drunk at a bar and starts dancing with himself to White Snake. It's almost surreal, with a track so essentially hair metal that is very seriously performed and sensually portrayed. Joby, for once, seems to be in his element. And Dano put himself in the elements of Joby in preparing for the scene. He got drunk in his motel room and worked a little something out the night before.
"[Method acting] would make it sound smarter than it actually was," he laughed.
Check out the rest of the interview above, with more info on what's next for Heder's "Dynamite" TV project, Dano's Robert DeNiro collaboration for "Being Flynn" and a creative combo with his girlfriend for a new film shooting later this year with the directors of "Little Miss Sunshine."
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
DJ Jazzy Jeff and Carlton stop by the 'Graham Norton' show: FabulousFriday, May 24, 2013
A history lesson and a 'Lucky' startFriday, May 24, 2013
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013