Katy Perry's 'Firework' features light-up chests, feel-goodness
What's with the body double-standard?
Katy Perry's boobs shoot firecrackers in the new video for "Firework." There is no way that this fact was lost on the clip's creators.
Yes, of course, it's not lost on me, either, that the sparks are supposed to be interpreted as flying from her heart, or her soul, or whatever. But this, after the summer of "California Gurls," which featured the pop star's infamous breasts sporting a whipped cream-canon bra. Perry's cleavage got her in trouble with some parents watching "Sesame Street" -- a snafu to which Perry reacted to be wearing a tight, equally revealing t-shirt on "Saturday Night Live." It's like Christine O'Donnell declaring in campaign commercials that she's "not a witch" -- a rumor which she hoped to drop by further promoting it.
But you couldn't shoot fireworks, say, from the tops of their heads, or their nether regions or from their shoulders. Because then that would look just plain silly. So bosoms it is, and thus two making a trend of things exploding out from Katy Perry's breasts (three, if you count "controversy" from the "Sesame" snag).
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
So anyway, the ludicrousness of fireworks flying from Katy Perry's and others' chests overshadows (pun intended) the clip's larger intent and message: you just keep being you.
In my review of "Teenage Dream," "Fireworks" was one of my favorite tracks from the set, and revisiting, it holds up. I like its message, I like its delivery. Perry has gone on to dedicate it to the "It Gets Better" campaign, which encourages gay teenagers that the bullying, the inner conflicts, the search for a partner -- it gets better.
But the feel-good gets a honey-sticky makeover, sometimes cheapening the problems presented. A kid about to get robbed by thugs SHOULD NOT try and pull magic tricks on them. A cancer-stricken child likely doesn't have the energy to go dancing in the public square.
[More after the jump...]
And then there's the overweight gal refusing the Cool Kids in the Cool Kids Pool Party -- ultimately stripping to her skivvies and joining the fun.
This is where I have to get heady on Perry and her handlers: it seems disingenuous to promote healthy body image and self-esteem when she as a pop star continues to employ unrealistic "Hollywood" standards of the female form in her music videos. It wouldn't scream "double standard" if I could name one other Perry video where her female cohorts aren't cosmetic and thin. How does it suggest -- for girls like the pool-jumper -- that it "gets better?"
Oh, but, hey, Perry looks great here. I'm gonna go kiss the object of my desires in Club Stick In the Mud.
What do you think of the video? And of the song?
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013