Watch: Is Nicki Minaj really the female Lil Wayne in Birdman's 'Y U Mad'?
All three rappers show up, but only one gender-bends
Weezy, Nicki and Birdman all show up and trade verses in this new clip, which features Nicki as the self-proclaimed "female Weezy" (in baggy pants, a wife beater and wack braids) and as the Nicki Minaj we're all growing used to -- that is, Nicki Minaj rocking Band-Aid couture.
First, let's start with the positives: Minaj on the hook is perfect. The lyrics are like a dare, a proclamation of war, and just goofing around -- the latter which I wish there was more of in this sometimes-dour clip. Birdman found the right, heightened beat for his drip-drop verses, and Weezy just sticks to being Weezy without any guitar riffs to mess with his froggy sound.
It's nice to see the Cash Money/Young Money crew hanging out around the holidays, but in a way, Minaj is still singled out, ever "the girl." See, to be playing on the same field as the boys, she has to dress like a boy. When she's flexin' with Birdman, she's wearing a ravaged-swimsuit look that the other toy-girls don elsewhere in the clip. Hell, why aren't the boys wearing some Crayola wigs and fetish heels?
Eh, let's not have that much fun. Minaj is still rising, with her "Roman Reloaded" to testify to her sophomore return in February. Wayne's still the face, even if "Carter IV" was kinda crap. The imbalance must remain, even if it shouldn't.
Also, the fade-out is a cop-out.
And, also, Wayne: you're banned from the spark-and-smoke intro. You've reached your quota.
"Y U Mad" is from Cash Money CEO Birdman's forthcoming album "Bigga Than Life," which was originally scheduled to drop this month, now due in the spring.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013