Watch: Drake drop official video for 'Marvin's Room'
Is this the hip-hop version of 'Need You Now?'
What is it with tough guys these days? Yesterday Eminem succumbed to his jealousy and shot himself over a girl in the "Space Bound" video, and today Drake -- ever-suffering from his short-lived fame -- drinks himself stupid and drunk-dials a taken lady he lusts after.
I haven't tried to hide my wariness of Drake, and I still contend dude's acclaim is unearned thus far. I think that this new video and track "Marvin's Room" is another example, why we should just give pretty Young Money a pass, particularly on lyrics.
But the cheap clip is, appropriately, dark, and is "heavy" as the singer and MC contends with the weight of love, lust and power balance between man and woman. How? Drunk dialing. It's the great leveler of playing fields. Lady Antebellum's inebriated yearnings from "Need You Now" earned them awards and fan loyalty, but scratched an itch that so many singles suffer. This emo crap may just fly.
And Drake hopes it does, even if his label Universal doesn't. Not yet anyway. After this track and "Dream Money Can Buy" were released by Drizzy into the ether, the major label started pulling the clips and streams. “Universal needs to stop taking my f*cking songs down,” Drake recently Tweeted. “I am doing this for the people not for your label.”
Welcome to the club. Nas, will you show him his seat?
Meanwhile, here is a remix Chris Brown did of "Marvin's Room," also released early this morning. It's from the point of view of the guy whose girl Drake is trying to steal. I cannot be bothered by Brown -- another recent coat-tailer -- today, like most days.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013