Watch: Chris Brown says 'Turn Up the Music' in dance-heavy music video
Party Animals, shirtlessness, a cane and goodwill
- Critic's Rating B+
- Readers' Rating n/a
Whether you like it or not, it's been a week of Chris Brown. From his controversial, multiple appearances at the Grammy Awards to rumors of his extremely unfunny pickup line to anonymous sources confirming he'll be on Rihnna's "Birthday Cake" to his bratty deleted Tweets, the rapper/R&B singer has been popping up.
And trying to break out. Again. And "Turn Up the Music" will help.
The music video -- culled from forthcoming "Fortune," an obvious companion to Grammy Award-winning "F.A.M.E." -- features revelers in animal heads and Chris Brown's mega-moves. I can't stand it when directors use only quick cuts of rug-cutters, but toward the end of "Music," there is a serious series of sweeping dance shots that may impress the hating-est of haters.
Around the three minute mark, Brown indulges in requisite, groan-worthy shirtlessness. His own good looks may have rendered him sightless because that would be the only explanation for the proceeding suspenders-and-cane duds to follow: dude's blind. Party Animals make the visuals a lot more entertaining, lightening up what could otherwise be a decent dance in a dungeon.
"Turn Up the Music" originally dropped in January, was performed on the Q-Bert stage at the Grammys and released as an official single on everybody's favorite bogus holiday, Valentine's Day. "Fortune" has a tentative drop date on March 16, though I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back, as label-folk wait to see how "Music" fares on radio and if their client can keep his mouth (and Twitter account) shut for the goodwill to set in.
The Recording Academy was satisfied with Brown's musicality -- worthy of rewarding it -- even if his repugnant personality is not.
Will this help the "haters" turn the corner, too?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013