U2's 'Achtung Baby' gets expansive 20th anniversary reissue
Do you like U2? Do you like U2 $630-worth?
And, perhaps, do you have about $630 to spare?
The Irish rockers are preparing a traditional and expanded reissue on their 1991 album "Achtung Baby" for its 20th anniversary, and by "expanded" I mean death-defyingly excessive.
Or Uber Deluxe, if you're their handlers. This six-CD, four-DVD, five-7" boxed kit may not get you out of the woods when and if you get lost, but it does come with a pair of sunglasses that are guaranteed to make you look like Bono*. "Zooropa," "Achtung's" follow-up, is included, as are some previously unreleased recordings from the album's sessions, a DVD of Toronto Film Festival opener "From the Sky Down," an 84-page hardback book of photos and recounts, etc. etc., all details here.
All in all, there will be five different configurations in which you can buy this reissue, including the single-disc original album and a vinyl boxed set.
I do not have half of a thousand dollars to spare, but this release does mark a special moment in the band's history. Not only did U2 kill the Rolling Stones' previous record for highest gorssing tour in the history of the world, but 20 years on my favorite U2 album is something to celebrate. It was darker, and more sophisticated, than anything they'd ever done before; Bono's lyricism stuck out as more eloquent and centered. And the band was famously fighting all during their Berlin-based Lanois/Eno recording stint.
Twenty years later? Can you name bands that old that still have their lineup intact?
I think I'll spring for the vinyl.
*Yes on sunglasses, but no on making you look like Bono, you're not even close.
News From Our Partners
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Choirs, harpisocord, the Eternal and -- or course -- glorious pop musicMonday, May 13, 2013