Trent Reznor is writing new Nine Inch Nails tunes, too: why that's good
How To Destroy Angels isn't the only music project the Oscar-winning writer's up to
At the end of the cold, nightmarish "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is a How to Destroy Angels cover of Bryan Ferry's "Is Your Love Strong Enough?". It was Fincher's idea. I don't think it worked at all.
This is largely because I'm not 100% sure Hot To Destroy Angels works, period. I've always found Maandig's voice to be too honeyed for the darker, industrial tones of Reznor's more-rhythmic songcrafting. "Strong Enough," granted, isn't the group's song, but it further reveals how out-of-water a sugar-malaise voice can be.
But some good news to this hater: Reznor won't only be working on a new HtDA album this year. He's writing for some new Nine Inch Nails action, too.
"I'm going to be writing for Nine Inch Nails this year," Reznor told Billboard this week. "My voice as a songwriter feels like it needs to speak up or at least work out a little bit to not atrophy. I think I have something to say that feels unique to who I am right now, and that's when it tells me it's time to do something."
The band has been on hiatus since 2009, as Reznor and collaborator Atticus Ross went and earned some nods and wins for their scores for films "The Social Network" and "Dragon Tattoo." The music he's written recently has usually fallen into those efforts or with How to Destory Angels, but now he's crafting music for NIN to scratch an itch.
"At the moment [the songs are] going to live in the Nine Inch Nails column, for a few reasons. I enjoy the challenge of moving that kind of brand forward, that identity, shaping it to who I am now instead of who I was a few years ago when I last left off," he said, though offering that at may be a minute. "It's all kind of hypothetical right now. When I sit down with a notebook and a little mini-recorder is when my bluff will be called, and then it might not happen at all."
Reznor and Ross are up for a Golden Globe award this weekend for "Dragon Tattoo's" original score. Of it, Reznor said: "I don't think it's the kind of score you leave humming the love theme from '...Dragon Tattoo' or anything. We purposely went in to make the type of score that disappeared into the frames and felt like a part of the set... but not announcing itself as 'Look how flashy this is!' We were really aiming for something that was more in the woodwork and were very pleased with how it came out and, again, are so astonished and so flattered it's getting noticed."
How to Destroy Angels are expected to release their first full-length this year; they released a debut EP in 2010.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Golden Globes on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013