Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse's family reflect on loss at Grammys pre-show
Mitch Winehouse name-checks Whitney Houston and Etta James in rememberence
LOS ANGELES -- Tony Bennett's win was a reminder of loss for Mitch and Janis Winehouse.
The parents of late singer Amy Winehouse took to the stage with the legendary singer as he accepted his award for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, earned for his performance with Winehouse on classic "Body and Soul." The presentation came during the 54th annual Grammy Awards pre-telecast show, for honors not given during the Staples Center ceremony.
Bennett -- a 16-time award winner -- graciously handed the mic over to Mitch and Janis for the majority of the allotted speech time. From here, Mitch kept it together in accepting the award on his daughter's behalf, with a little choke behind his voice.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
"I can't tell you what it was like. It was like lift-off. Tony's collaboration meant so much to her," he said, speaking of "Body and Soul." "And she was so excited, because it was my favorite song. I said 'Do you know the words, darlin'?' She said 'You've been singing that song to me for 25 years, of course I know the words."
Mitch plugged the Amy Winehouse Foundation, which raises money for disadvantaged children, a note of positivity in a tough "deal."
It was poignant moment, a realization many have made since the stunning announcement last night that 48-year-old Houston was found dead at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Three generations of solo female soul singers, three distinct characters. Bennett has seen some of his collaborators and peers disappear in his day, and one could see it written on his face as Mitch and Janis left the stage.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013