UPDATED: Tom Waits postpones 'Letterman' and 'Fallon' appearances
Songwriter skeds late-night TV dates
UPDATE APRIL 23: In a Tweet posted last week, Waits' team announced that these forthcoming late-night TV appearances are off, for the moment: "Tom is postponing his appearances on Letterman and Fallon and will reschedule at a later date TBA"
ORIGINAL REPORT APRIL 9: Tom Waits is trotting out his songs from "Bad As Me" for the first time since the album release with a couple of performances lined up on national television.
The veteran songwriter head to the "Late Show With David Letterman" on April 24 and to "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" the next night on April 25. He'll be sitting down for an interview with each, too, which might prove to be just as entertaining as the songs themselves.
He's visited with Letterman before, but this will be a first for "Fallon"; considering that host's rivalries, I'd expect a stop-off at "The Colbert Report," or maybe just a return to "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart.
Waits has yet to announce any tour dates behind "Bad As Me," but this may signal that organizing may just be ramping up for a trek. He only played eight shows in support of his 2006 album "Orphans," then took up a much more complete itinerary two years later. He's known to play with the dates surrounding his album releases, and in a series of stops that don't always land in major cities.
These performances may also answer the question of: if Waits were to tour, what cracker-jack band would he take with him? During the 2008 Glitter and Doom tour, it was with backers like Vincent Henry on woodwinds, his son Casey Waits on drums, Omar Torrez on guitar/banjo, Patrick Warren on keyboard and Seth Ford-Young on bass. On this record, Casey was all over the thing and Warren was on half; Ford-Young, Henry and Torrez are nowhere to be found; andclassic collaborators like Marc Ribot and special guests like Keith Richards and Flea abounded.
This is all speculation of course. Waits may be already hard at work on something else as soon as the cameras hit "stop."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
5 months ago
8 months ago
|Discuss TV General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Choirs, harpisocord, the Eternal and -- or course -- glorious pop musicMonday, May 13, 2013
Advertisement for awesomeFriday, May 10, 2013