Today in Christmas: The Kills, Cat Power, Blitzen Trapper and Macy Gray
Amazon giving away a free holiday song every day in December until Christmas
"The moon makes me want to eat you alive,” sings The Kills' Alison Mosshart. "Sleep if you do wake, dear."
Is that how you really feel, Alison? Don't look for little Baby Jesus in this classic carol re-make of "Silent Night," below. The singer's boozy howl is gorgeous, even if she seems transfixed more on death than she is on new life. Whatever, pass the coke.
Meanwhile, there's new news from Cat Power's camp. Chan Marshall Tweeted on Friday that there will be a new Christmas charity single and accompanying video out on Christmas Eve (Dec. 24); those who wish to download the as-yet-unnamed track will have a list of charities to choose from to put their donated dollars toward.
Due to the overwhelming use of all caps, I shall repeat only one of her Tweets, abridged, this one pertaining to a new studio album, anticipated since 2006's "The Greatest" and 2008's covers album "Jukebox."
"ALMOST DONE WITH ALBUM."
Blitzen Trapper has already unleashed their track for all the world, and you don't even need to give your money to some dumb-old charity. Just give Rolling Stone pageview!
"Christmas Is Coming Soon" appropriately boasts jingle bells and 7th harmonies, Eric Earley's softness performing over a picked guitar.
The original track "is about the real Santa Claus, who we all know lives in southern Oregon in a double wide trailer and drinks too much peppermint schnapps from a straw," Earley said. Donkey Kong and all is well from this reindeer band...
In case you missed it, Amazon has been giving away a holiday song every day in December up until Santa Claus has come and gone. Today's is from Fitz & The Tantrums -- who blew me away at Lollapalooza. It's wassail for your wa-soul. Macy Gray is on tap to deliver a brand new song, "What I Want For Christmas," for delivery on Dec. 25.
It appears in advance of the singer's "Covered," and album of -- you guessed it -- covers, though with some unconventional pop/rock picks, including Arcade Fire's "Wake Up," Radiohead's "Creep," and Eurythmics "Here Comes The Rain Again." It will be out in March.
And don't forget: this nice track from Ms. Shelby Earl.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013