The xx, Paul Weller, Mumford & Sons make 2010 Mercury Prize short list
Can Dizzee Rascal nab another win?
Biffy Clyro, Corinne Bailey Rae, Paul Well and Dizzee Rascal are among the 12 nominees for this year's Mercury Prize. More than 200 acts and their albums were up for the Album of the Year honor, given out to U.K. or Irish bands who have released new sets in the last 12 months.
The winner will be announced at the Barclaycard Mercury Prize Awards Show on Sept. 7.
The xx is estimated to take the £20,000 prize home and, while I may not be a raving fan of the band, I do appreciate awards such as these going to new and breaking artists rather than the standbys (like 2003 winner Dizzee Rascal).
My hope of hopes is to see Laura Marling take it. I've always very much liked her voice and her style, but she truly came into her own with "I Speak Because I Can," which doesn't miss a single note, and every song necessary and surprising. (Jack White agrees.) I do have a soft spot, too, for Mumford & Sons and Foals, and the very nature of Corinne Bailey Rae's intimate "The Sea" cries out for a little more attention (see: sad). Villagers and Kit Downes have the most outside of chances.
The Paul Weller set is an achievement just in a notable guests it roped in: the former The Jam frontman was joined by his former bandmate Bruce Foxton for the first time since 1982. This would be the first time in 16 years he gets the nod.
Other previous winners include Elbow, Klaxons and Arctic Monkeys.
Here are the nominees for the 2010 Mercury Prize:
Biffy Clyro "Only Revolutions"
Corinne Bailey Rae "The Sea"
Dizzee Rascal "Tongue N' Cheek"
Foals "Total Life Forever"
I Am Kloot "Sky At Night"
Kit Downes "Trio Golden"
Laura Marling "I Speak Because I Can"
Mumford & Sons "Sigh No More"
Paul Weller "Wake Up the Nation"
The xx "xx"
Villagers "Becoming a Jackal"
Wild Beasts "Two Dancers"
News From Our Partners
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013