Song Of The Day: Watch Metric go Nat'l Geographic for 'Stadium Love' video
What's Emily Haines' power animal?
Five singles in and Metric's "Fantasies" just keeps going.
"Stadium Love" has its animalistic, survivalist elements in its core lyrics: "Every living thing / Pushed into the ring / Fight it out / To wow the crowd / Guess you thought / You could just watch / No one's getting out / Without stadium love." And the band lives it up in the new video for the track, putting the band in a cage, animals waging war on each other and with their prey, and frontwoman Emily Haines mugging ferociously.
The contrast of hearts casting around Haines' face and the bouncing, positive rhythm of the song forced against brutal Nat Geo-like footage gives it a cute ending and a great backdrop for what I think is one of their most commercially satisfying songs.
Reminds me a bit of the eat-or-be-eaten nature of our business -- as well as the "power animal" scene in "Fight Club," the music video shoot for Tia Carrere's band in "Wayne's World" and latter end of Radiolab's ep on "Lucy."
"As one of the sentiments expressed in the song is man's disregard for the natural world around us, we were concerned with how the animals we would be working with would be treated. Rest assured, not only were these animals treated with love, respect and tenderness, they were the stars," says the band on its website. "The word divas comes to mind. It was perfect, we worked on their schedule and pace."
News From Our Partners
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013