Song Of The Day: Samantha Crain heads to 'Santa Fe' with Frontier Ruckus
Oklahoman heads to the further Southwest with banjo, lilting melody
Last year, I fell in love with Samantha Crain's "Songs in the Night" hard. For such a young singer-songwriter, she's inimitable, drawing from years of Townes Van Zandtian folk-country, her lyrics wise and band professional. She's rich in spirit, with stable, beautiful trill to her voice: in a way, an anti-indie rocker in that she wants to sing well, and sing like she cares. She signed that album off to Ramseur Records, the original home of the Avett Brothers.
This year, she'll have "You (Understood)" out on June 8, and starting it off the block is "Santa Fe," a honey-sweet collab with Frontier Ruckus.
For those unfamiliar with the latter, a taste: they were easily one of my favorite bands from 2008's CMJ Marathon, a drinking band of foul mouths and good players. It's Americana in its modern form with a nod to past. Sexy Michiganers, if there were a thing, for those who speak that alt-country language.
Back to the Southwesterly "Santa Fe," pick at that banjo line yourself, and give a literate laugh along, in front of rows of cowboys boots if you can.
Crain has a 2008 EP out, "The Confiscation"; labelmates Frontier Ruckus have a new album forthcoming, July 20's "Deadmalls and Nightfalls" and already released "The Orion Songbook" in 2008.
News From Our Partners
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Choirs, harpisocord, the Eternal and -- or course -- glorious pop musicMonday, May 13, 2013