Watch: Mogwai's 'How to Be a Werewolf ' included in short film clip
Track culled from Scottish rockers' forthcoming new album
Mogwai have a new album dropping in February and what better way to promote it than help spotlight the travels of a cyclist how literally biked around the world.
"How to Be a Werewolf" is a pretty light track -- considering it's Mogwai -- and a remix of it appropriately soundtracks a clip of James Bowthorpe, who broke the record for biking 'round-the-world, in Norway during a "white night," a night during which the sun never goes down. Talk about Northern lights.
The video is part of a longer short film, directed by Antony Crook, chronicling the travels. Crook also designed the cover for Mogwai's next album, "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will." (Which is now, officially, my favorite album title of all time for today.) The set's due Feb. 15 on Sub Pop.
"We found the perfect backdrop to tell this story of somebody who points his bike at the horizon and then doesn't stop pedaling. It's a film about never giving up,” says Crook in a statement. He had been listening to the Mogwai "Hardcore" demos as he filmed.
Now let's talk about Mogwai for a second, because I'm trying to put this somewhat-uplifting song into some context. I saw the Scottish rockers finally for the first time two years ago at All Points West in New Jersey and -- even with My Bloody Valentine shaking equilibrium to their core later that night -- they were still the loudest motherf*ckers in that park, bless their hearts.
But with "Werewolf," there's a lot more identifiable structure, a lot more high end, than I'm used to, and not just comparing their live sets to recordings. I'm curious to hear the rest of "Hardcore," if just for more of that magnificent snare sound.
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013