Song Of The Day: M.I.A.'s 'Born Free' leaks free
M.I.A. evidently has an album coming out June 29, but there's still so much to know, to hear: then there's today's "Born Free," which is making the rounds and sometimes being pulled by Interscope.
Take a gander before it disappears: the structure is solid punk rock -- reminiscent of U.K. punk dynamite Mu, with less screaming -- dynamically incapable of breathing room except for her oddball bridge, "I don't wanna talk about money, 'cause I got it/I don't want to talk about hoochies, 'cause I been it." This little couple of measure makes me think she did her vocals in one take and was satisfied in it. It's a fast four minutes, for sure, and a fascinating new tack for Ms. Arulpragasam.
M.I.A. has previewed this tune at shows before, complimented by her stage-spanning dances.
She's given at least one glimpse into the forthcoming, as-yet-untiltled N.E.E.T./Interscope set, with "Space Odessey," unleashed earlier this year. No word yet on a finalized tracklist or basically anything else about the thing.
What do you think of the song? Do you like the direction she's going here?
[Stream "Born Free" after the jump...]
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013