UPDATED Song Of The Day: M.I.A. heads to the club on radio single 'XXXO'
Update: Album gets a name, pushed back to July
M.I.A. wants to get people dancing to newly announced radio single "XXXO," but I kinda only feel like shrugging.
In a way, it's appropriate that the multi-talented songwriter issued a number of disses toward pop stars like Lady Gaga a few months ago, as if to set the stage and to roll the red carpet out for her own entry into The Club. "XXXO" has a cold, rough-edged electronica approach, with the chorus boasting a catchy, looping vocal sample (which sounds copped, but is apparently original?). It's got the perfect BPM, the deep-lung bass sound, a bit like the Junior Boys doing hard drugs with Ratatat.
But it's lacking soul. The iPhone-dropping verses are forgettable and boringly delivered. It's not so much that M.I.A. has nothing to work with here, but made a song that could've dripped from anyone's pen (or Twitter account). It feels wintry and unapproachable, yet reminds me all at once of a dozen other songs already out there.
No matter, depending on how folks wanna party this summer, this may be among their regular jams playlists. Hype Williams is reportedly shooting the video for the track, an undertaking that is bound to look and feel 900% less violent than the clip for M.I.A.'s "Born Free" (a far superior track, btw).
Meanwhile, her album has been pushed back from a June 29 release date to [Ed. Correction] July 13 and is now, apparently, named "/\/\/\Y/\" (look, see, it says MYA, M.I.A.'s real name!
The clip below of "XXXO" (yes, I know what it sounds like when you say Ex three times fast) was culled from Britain's Radio 1, which debuted the track yesterday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013