Song Of The Day: Damien Jurado utilizes full band press on 'Cloudy Shoes'
Download the track, from forthcoming album 'Saint Bartlett'
Damien Jurado can be a frustrating artist. All at once, he can meld a breathtaking, personal narrative with a back-achingling cold melody, or vice-versa, a juxtaposition that takes place most often in his solo songs, just him and his guitar.
No such ache occurs here on "Cloudy Shoes," a track culled from the singer-songwriter's forthcoming "Saint Bartlett," due May 25 via Secretly Canadian.
This effort boasts the added value of an eight-piece band, dubbed the Saint Bartlett band, or Kay Kay and his Weathered Underground for those of you who aren't into the whole brevity thing. It lifts up the tune with simple rhythm and a string section under Jurado's none-too-perfect voice, a bit like a late-'50s commercial jingle aiding on one man's crying. It's a parellel that plays much finer than some of the typical saddies that Jurado spits out (though great saddies they be), which is a good indication of the things to come on the new album.
Jurado and the Saint Bartlett band will be on tour starting on the 29th this month and will stick to the road for all of June and part of July. Those who pre-order the album score a digital download of it.
Download and stream the track below
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013
Fire!Thursday, May 23, 2013
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013