'Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World' soundtrack: Five new Beck songs, Metric, more
One would expect as much from Radiohead collaborator Nigel Godrich and director Edgar Wright.
The "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" soundtrack is shaping up to be one of the best film companions of the year, with the official, full tracklisting now available. Edgar Wright helped cobble the thing together, along with the flick's score producer Godrich. The set with drop Aug. 10, a few days ahead of the movie's premiere on Aug. 13.
Since Beck is now seemingly taking an indefinite hiatus from touring (hell, from traditional albums -- see Record Club, The), he had time to flesh out five new tracks for the set, moonlighting as THE Scott Pilgrim's band Sex Bomb-Omb.
In the first trailer, released in the spring, I mentioned that things sounded more "Sea Change" era Beck, though with the sizzling new summer international trailer -- out last week, posted here -- we get the grimey, dancey Beck we know and love.
Another new track comes from Metric, who contributed a "Fantasies" B-side "Black Sheep" to the cause of defeating exes (Metric acts as the band Clash at the Demonhead, Scott's old band). They actually started streaming this guy back in February; check out their Facebook page and click "Like" in order to "unlock" the song for streaming. Think more Mates of State than "Help I'm Alive."
Metric vocalist Emily Haines shows up elsewhere on "Scott Pilgrim," though on her old project Broken Social Scene's "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl" (2002). BSS are also the band behind the curtain for Crash and the Boys (a rival band from town). Other old stuff includes choice cuts from Frank Black, Beachwood Sparks, The Rolling Stones and, the track that sparked the title, Plumtree ("Scott Pilgrim").
Abkco said back in April that they'll be releasing the album.
Pitchfork got the tracklist early, posted below:
1. SEX BOB-OMB (Beck): "We Are SEX BOB-OMB"
2. Plumtree: "Scott Pilgrim"
3. Frank Black: "I Heard Ramona Sing"
4. Beachwood Sparks: "By Your Side"
5. Black Lips: "O Katrina!"
6. Crash and the Boys (Broken Social Scene): "I'm So Sad, So Very, Very Sad"
7. Crash and the Boys (Broken Social Scene): "We Hate You Please Die"
8. SEX BOB-OMB (Beck): "Garbage Truck"
9. T. Rex: "Teenage Dream"
10. The Bluetones: "Sleazy Bed Track"
11. Blood Red Shoes: "It's Getting Boring by the Sea"
12. Metric: "Black Sheep"
13. SEX BOB-OMB (Beck): "Threshold"
14. Broken Social Scene: "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl"
15. The Rolling Stones: "Under My Thumb"
16. Beck: "Ramona (Acoustic)"
17. Beck: "Ramona"