Preview new Beck songs in 'Scott Pilgrim' trailer
Soundtrack to feature Metric, Broken Social Scene, Cornelius, just wow
If you've been watching the "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" trailer over and over again like I have, you may recognize some musical voicings that play over the violent ex-boyfriend madness: Beck.
Mr. Hansen has been penning songs specifically for the comic book-based film. The first track in the teaser sounds more "Sea Change" era -- all sensitive-like and gooey -- while the fight scenes are tracked with the dance-ready version of the Beck we once knew.
These songs will get a further highlight in the film as Scott Pilgrim (played by Michael Cera) and his band Sex Bob-Omb plays them, in a scene set-up for a face-off between the bass player and one of his love interest's exes.
"Slated for release on August 13, there will also be a soundtrack album featuring the Beck-penned tracks along with other songs by Broken Social Scene, Metric, and Cornelius," reads a post on Beck's website. Um, cool. Broken Social Scene has its own album, "Forgiveness Rock Record," coming out May 4, Metric has hit its stride in the mainstream with its latest "Fantasies" and Japanese pop-rock genius Cornelius has put on one of my personal favorite live shows of all time with the release of his last "Sensuous" (2006).
So not only is the film getting comic fans all hot and bothered, but indie rockers may get their "rock" off too.
Also: Have you ever noticed that Cera look suspiciously look like Beck? It's creeping me out.
As for Beck's other recent developments, he collaborated with noise-makers Liars, St. Vincent members Annie Clark and Daniel Hart, Os Mutantes' Sergio Dias and frequent collaborator Brian Lebarton in his latest installment of his Record Club series. This time, Beck and Co. have tackled INXS, the first song being "Guns in the Sky." We're already liking it a lot more than the Skip Spence experiment. Video below.
Read more about "Scott Pilgrim" and our movie blogger Drew McWeeny's reaction to the trailer here.
News From Our Partners
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
DJ Jazzy Jeff and Carlton stop by the 'Graham Norton' show: FabulousFriday, May 24, 2013
A history lesson and a 'Lucky' startFriday, May 24, 2013
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013