No, really: Johnny Depp and Marilyn Manson covering 'You're So Vain'
Carly Simon gets a dark redux, plus: Have you heart Manson's newest single?
Maybe Johnny Depp and Marliyn Mason are vain. And maybe it's you, my friend. The industrial/heavy-rocker and the actor/musician have combined together to record a very unlikely cover: Carly Simon's "You're So Vain."
The track will appear on Manson's forthcoming eighth studio set, "Born Villain," out on May 1, though it's not currently available for listening yet. While it may not be worn on his sleeve, Depp is actually a big Manson fan, their bromance going back to at least 2001 when Manson's "The Nobodies" was in Depp's "From Hell"; the award-winning actor actually took Manson to the 2006 premiere of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" as his date.
The announcement of this song proceeds the recent unveiling of "Born Villain's" first single, "No Reflection," which I actually like a lot. It's crunchy, accessible, and with a lot of that Manson signature character, an actually good reflection on production. Manson; longtime collaborator and former Nine Inch Nails drummer Chris Vrenna; and bassist/producer Twiggy Ramirez (aka Jeordie White) were behind the decks for this effort.
Manson will perform with Rammstein on Thursday (March 22) at the ECHO Awards in Germany, and will headline Revolver's Golden Gods Awards on April 11 in Los Angeles, his first U.S. tour stop in three years. More 2012 dates are slated here.
"Born Villain" which will be his first album due for his Hell, Etc. vanity label (in conjunction with Cooking Vinyl/Downtown), signalling perhaps a better gain on artistic control, breaking away from notoriously staunch Interscope. This isn't the first time Manson given that semblance of independence a whirl: earlier this century, he tried putting out records under the Posthuman label, his only signing gODHEAD before the imprint folded. However, I've always admired Manson's vision of self and branding, and hope that work with Depp (and, ahem, Skylar Grey) breeds new creative direction and maybe, one day, total independence. How is he not, already?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013