MGMT streams full 'Congratulations' album after weekend leak
Listen: Sigur Ros' Jonsi covers 'Time to Pretend'
We already warned you it was weird: MGMT's new album "Congratulations," due April 13, leaked over the weekend, and the Brooklyn two-piece-plus group is streaming it in full as a result.
The nine-track effort diverges from 2007's "Oracular Spectacular" in its emphasis on live instrumentation and mid-tempo rock music, as opposed to the synths and dance bent of popular tracks like "Kids" and "Electric Feel." Those wacky vocals from Andrew Vanwyngarden and Ben Goldwasser still bounce, float and dive into fantastical melodies, but slow jams like "I Found a Whistle" may leave heads scratching; "Brian Eno" sounds more like a rock opera track; and "Lady DaDa's Nightmare" is a whole lot less Lady GaGa and more like Eno (with screams in reverb).
I also had some thoughts on the first song to make its way into the open, "Flash Delirium."
"Hey everybody, the album leaked, and we wanted you to be able to hear it from us. We wanted to offer it as a free download but that didn't make sense to anyone but us," read a statement on the site. Yeah, that doesn't sound like a fight Columbia was gonna lose.
It's a shame that a chance-taking second set like this hit the 'net so early, and I'm frankly a bit nervous for MGMT: they were most beloved for those hipster dance-bar hits, none of which are on here. I will brew on all the new tunes in full soon.
Meanwhile, for those who crave a little Column A and Column B -- the old MGMT, in their new lackadaisical style -- try Jonsi's cover of "Time to Pretend." The Icelandic singer is frontman for Sigur Ros and has his own solo set coming out April 6.
Jonsi - "Time to Pretend" (MGMT cover)
News From Our Partners
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013