Listen: Sheryl Crow debuts new single 'Summer Day,' announces album
Singer-songwriter goes soul
Sheryl Crow has a long history of making summer-worthy songs, starting with her '90s megahit "All I Wanna Do," then through "Every Day Is a Winding Road," "Soak Up the Sun" and "Love Is Free." She continues the trend in 2010 with her new single "Summer Day," the first track to debut from her forthcoming album "100 Miles from Memphis," due July 20.
The soul-infused track can be streamed now for listeners willing to
cough up a $1 million agree to allowing Universal to connect to users through Facebook.
I am personally uncomfortable with this particular method of culling information from fans, but I do it for the people, people.
For those unwilling, I can say that it's true to its description: that growing up 100 miles from the hometown of Stax Records had a profound interest on Crow, who grew up in the lower right hand of Missouri. While prior releases pushed her upstream on a pop-rock track, then a pure-pop, then an Americana-pop vein, this tries to square her sweet pipes with an American soul tradition, with a horns section, a strong line of backup singers and her pipes flipping and reaching for new dynamic heights previously unheard on former records.
That all being said, the newness of it is a little startling, and not because I don't think Crow's fit to sing soul or R&B. It's more like "Summer Day" doesn't sound like something she'd write. It's generic, as though anybody could've tagged it with their own inflection. This squares her directly with adult top 40 audiences and soft rock, but it doesn't distinguish this obviously talented singer.
It hurts from cliches culled from another era ("I just wanna be what you want me to") while the lyric "let is shine" as its token non sequitur (though I suppose a "day" can "shine"). Still, though, it's hummable, a crowd's pleasure and totally harmless. It makes me curious if she take more risks -- and not just genre-wise -- with the rest of "100 Miles."
Crow is going on tour later this month and will be opening the first five dates of Lilith Fair, then heading out again. She has recently donated to the cause of rebuilding Nashville, her adoptive home base, after catastrophic flooding this Spring.
Her album will arrive via A&M; her last album "Detours" was released in 2008.
Here are Sheryl Crow's tour dates:
Friday, June 11 Chattanooga, TN - Riverbend Festival
Saturday, June 12 Elizabeth, IN - Horseshoe Casino
Sunday, June 13 Highland Park, IL - Ravinia Pavilion
Monday, June 14 Interlochen, MI - Kresge Auditorium
Tuesday, June 15 Kettering, OH - Fraze Pavilion @ Lincoln Park Center
Thursday, June 17 Vienna, VA - The Filene Center
Friday, June 18 Cleveland, OH - State Theater
Saturday, June 19 Clarkston, MI - DTE Energy Music Theater
Monday, June 21 Charlottesville, VA - Charlottesville Pavillion
Tuesday, June 22 Portsmouth, VA - nTELOS Wireless Pavilion
Thursday, June 24 Milwaukee, WI - Summerfest
Saturday, June 26 Bridgeview, IL - Crossroads Guitar Festival
Lillith Fair Dates
Sunday, June 27 Calgary, AL - McMahon Stadium
Monday, June 28 Edmonton, AB - Northlands Spectrum
Thursday, July 1 Vancouver, BC - Pitt Meadow Airport
Friday, July 2 Portland, OR - The Amphitheater @ Clark County
Saturday, July 3 George, WA - The Gorge Amphitheater
August/September dates to feature new touring band
Thursday, Aug 12 Gilford, NH - Meadowbrook
Friday, Aug 13 Canandaigua, NY - Constellation Brands Marvin Sands PAC
Saturday, Aug 14 Atlantic City, NJ - Caesar’s Circus Maximus
Sunday, Aug 15 Cary, NC - Koka Booth Amphitheater
Thursday, Aug 19 Atlanta, GA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Saturday, Aug21 Sedalia, MO - Missouri State Fairground Grandstand
Sunday, Aug 22 Des Moines, IA - Iowa State Fair
Tuesday, Aug 24 Tulsa, OK - Brady Theater
Thursday, Aug 26 Grand Prairie, TX - Nokia Theater @ Grand Prairie
Saturday, Aug 28 Bee Cave, TX - The Backyard
Tuesday, Aug 31 Morrison, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheater
Wednesday, Sept 1 Salt Lake City, UT - Red Butte Garden Amphitheater
Thursday, Sept 9 San Diego, CA - Humphreys Concerts by the Bay
Friday, Sept 10 Los Angeles, CA - The Greek Theater
Saturday, Sept 11 Las Vegas, NV - The Joint
Tuesday, Sept 14 Saratoga, CA - The Mountain Winery
Wednesday, Sept 15 Saratoga, CA The Mountain Winery
Thursday, Sept 16 Santa Ynes, CA Chumash Casino
Friday, Sept 17 Murphy, CA Ironstone Vineyards
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Choirs, harpisocord, the Eternal and -- or course -- glorious pop musicMonday, May 13, 2013