Listen: Metric unleashes single 'Youth Without Youth'
Band finally gets its Gary Glitter on
- Critic's Rating B+
- Readers' Rating n/a
Metric were right in that their first single "finally" get to utilize the omnipresent Gary Glitter "Rock and Roll" beat -- it'll have you saying "Hey!" to boot.
"Youth Without Youth" is the initial track to arrive from "Synthetica," and is going on sale on May 1.
The band pushes crunchy, smarmy guitars way up front in the mix as a Muse-like synthy underbelly balances out Emily Haines' penchant creepy-little-girl voice. The child-like front is appopriate for "Youth," which explores what the band describes as a "slow sad story." It tackles "the decaying social state through the eyes of a depraved child... into a teenager," Haines explains in a song commentary, streaming after the track. It ends, predictably, with a bang and a whimper, both sonically and lyrically.
The song certainly has mass appeal, but a lot of instrumental space, too, with sparse verses and a non-traditional chorus. I don't think I'll grow out of it too soon.
"Synthetica" is due on June 12.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013