Listen: Katy Perry is 'Wide Awake' on sad new song
Plus: Why is the pop star covering 'N***as in Paris?'
I hate to make light of anybody's personal suffering, but a breakup could very well be the best thing for Katy Perry's sound. "Wide Awake," the pop singer's latest offering, is a primer for a more grown-up sound.
What has been particularly vexing about Perry's career is the inescapable nature of her "cuteness," which even has its way with "Part of Me," her current single. Any legitimate sound of pain can come off as cootie-boo-hooing, with that excessive flip on her high notes or the come-hiterhing of a bridge. Her presentation at the Grammys pointed to an angry underpinning, fully realized in the wake of her divorce from Russell Brand.
Now there's "Wide Awake," a title that's packed with multiple meanings. Not only is the dream over, but there's a coming-of-age, of becoming somebody else when you wake up, you're 27, you're at the top of your game, and you just had a very public celebrity divorce.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
I can't say that the lyrics offer anything particularly original, but Perry sings with maturity and balancing out the heaviness of the beat with mournful acceptance. She even brings in a little of her religious past, with reference to Daniel in the lion's den.
Will it mean she'll stop wearing candy-themed bras or cut out the Crayola hair-dos? Is she much less a girl and much more the woman? Not for this "Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection" album cycle, she's still got copies to hock. Maybe, though, it is the best look into the follow-up, after the "Dream" turned into a rude awakening.
Meanwhile, the premiere for the "Part of Me" music video is coming at you tomorrow (March 21) at the very specific time of 7:23 EST on MTV. "The Complete Confection" collection will be out on March 26.
OK, applause, applause, STOP. Now let's talk about Katy Perry's cover of Watch the Throne's "Niggas in Paris?"
"This is about to get real embarrassing," Perry warned the BBC 1 Live Lounge, before reverting the famous chorus from "That sh*t cray" to "That so cray."
I'll hand it to her. She kept up. But it's hard to turn this party anthem into a diva moment, even when she's throwing up her diamonds and sporting a Yankees ballcap. Kanye West and Jay-Z would be... entertained.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Choirs, harpisocord, the Eternal and -- or course -- glorious pop musicMonday, May 13, 2013
Advertisement for awesomeFriday, May 10, 2013