Listen: Beyonce's '1+1' from new album '4'
Superstar performer sets tracklist, including guests Andre 3000 and Kanye West
Beyonce distinguished herself as one of the brightest highlights during "American Idol's" season finale last night, due in part to the debut of "1+1," the first ballad to be introduced from her forthcoming album "4."
While we're playing the numbers game, this will mark the second single from the set, as "Who Run the World (Girls)" continues to struggle with airplay and mass adoption on a "Single Ladies" scale. But upon viewing Bey's live take of the song for "Oprah" earlier this week -- despite the borderline hilarious handing-out-of-diplomas bit -- plus this spectacular vocal performance, Beyonce is aiming for entertainment perfection.
If only it didn't seem the lyrics to "1+1" were penned by a second-grader.
[More after the jump...]
Queen B takes this slow-burner back to the '90s, with a little mix of rock guitars and ridiculous synths that somehow end up making a cohesive whole. The starts at around a 7 or an 8 and blasts through the end, both in the recorded version and the "AI" live version (the latter of which seems to have her singing from a pit of lava, arms of the living dead reaching from the ground's burning core). She growls and demands her lover to make love to her, a wanting of desperation and thirst. But what does a gun do? It shoots! Will you fight for me? Yup! What is one plus one? Two!
There's elemental, and elementary, and while I enjoy the rawness and pleasures of the track, I get a little tripped up with the weak analogies and simplicity of language and schemes. But then you hear her take those big breathes -- like something is coming -- and you forget all about it again. It should and could be her "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going."
Meanwhile, the tracklist to "4" has been revealed, and the sole guest vocalist seems to be Andre 3000, on track "Party" produced by Kanye West and Consequence.
Here is the tracklist to "4," out on June 28:
3. 'I Miss You'
4. 'Best Thing I Never Had'
5. 'Party' feat. Andre 3000
6. 'Rather Die Young'
7. 'Start Over'
8. 'Love On Top'
10. 'End Of Time'
11. 'I Was Here'
12. 'Run The World (Girls)'
What do you think of the song? And her performance?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013