French duo Air and Scorsese's 'Hugo' honoring 'Moon' man Georges Méliès
'Le Voyage Dans La Lune' (A Trip To The Moon) gets a full album
French electronica duo Air are going hand-in-hand with "The Moon."
Director Georges Méliès' "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" ("A Trip to the Moon") was a trailblazing silent film originally completed in 1902, and one of the first known science fiction flicks, inspiring flimmakers and writers thereafter. A hand-painted reel of the film -- the only one of its kind -- was discovered in 1993 and it was subsequently reworked for a debut on the world stage at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year; Air was commissioned to complete a brand new soundtrack for the 14-minute film it debuted at the fest as well.
Air are expanding on that prompt and are completing an entire album inspired by "La Lune." Astralwerks will release "A Trip to the Moon" on Feb. 7.
The album 11-track album inflates on Air's instrumental themes for the short film, and even adds some vocalists: Victoria Legrand from Immaculate Noise favorite Beach House and Brooklyn-based troupe Au Revoir Simone will guest.
"'A Trip to the Moon' is undoubtedly more organic than most of our past projects. We wanted it to sound 'handmade,' knocked together,’ a bit like Méliès' special effects. Everything is played live … like Méliès' film, our soundtrack is nourished by living art," said Air's Nicolas Godin.
Superfans -- of the band, the film or both -- will have an opportunity to see it all together: EMI is releasing a limited number of DVDs with the colored film and the original score together.
Air has previously contributed to other film scores and soundtracks, including the impressively mellow-sad set to "Virgin Suicides."
This has been long-gone Méliès' year. Families should check out "Hugo" as it drops into theaters this week. The Martin Scorsese-helmed movie is a creative unveiling of the life and work of Georges Méliès, with the director getting a heartbreaking portrayal by the great Ben Kingsley. "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" gets a major tip of the hat in the movie, the center of a mystery a young boy can't help but pursue.
Keep your eye on Drew McWeeny's blog for a review of the flick. I personally loved it. Maybe Air could play a little something at the France premiere?
News From Our Partners
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013