Kanye West returns with 'Power' and then some
Does the rapper/producer put his head down or hoist it up?
With an "Oh... hey!", Kanye West is back.
A new track from the superstar rapper and producer has surfaced and while UMG has spent the morning yoinking it from the YouTubes and what-have-you, its heft and durability is too much to keep bottled.
The King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" sample is appropriate, as, in a way, that's just what Ye is, at least in this straight-up rap. He's irritable, at once conciliatory, almost apologetic, but then graphically insulting and narcissistic, self-aware, naive, emotional.
"I was drinking earlier," he raps, "now I'm driving."
It's evened out by a somewhat wandering, suicide-watching verse from talented crooner Dwele (who also guested on "Flashing Lights"), though the bass and the drums of the beat keep it urgent and interesting.
With Kanye's voice that high in the registers, it's a hard task to growl. But that's just what he does, delivering a track without the namby pamby heartache to trip him up. He name-checks "No man should have all that power," ironically then name-checking President Obama and chronic parody masters and peanut gallery, the cast of "Saturday Night Live," who Ye tells to kiss his a**. And to take it a step further: "They can kiss my a**hole / I'm an a**hole? / You n*ggas got joookes / You short-minded n*ggas."
But it's the power of the haters that put fuel in Kanye's car, to drive it, to take his metaphor further. When the controversy of his public persona met with personal tragedy (his loss of his mom, his break-up from his fiancee) and the meteoric/meat-headed rise to fame, it finally led to some quiet months to, I dunno, maybe read a book or clean his studio, and stew a little on the hate.
So maybe Kanye West is an a**hole, but here, he wears it well.
While "Power" may or may not be included on West's "Good A** Job" -- ETA TBA -- it is a strong return, and it leaves us, well, counting the hours. While it has all the defiance of Eminem's summer jam "Not Afriad," its got a ferocity all Yeezy's own.
As previously reported, Pete Rock, Q-Tip and RZA are reportedly working with West on what may shape up to be a return to a fully rap-based album.
News From Our Partners
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013