Fiona Apple confirms SXSW festival gig: What can we expect?
New Apple album on the way in 2012, so is this a way to introduce it?
Fiona Apple hasn't done many high-profile gigs in the last five years, but the Los Angeles-based songwriter is stepping out this spring at South By Southwest. The 34-year-old has been confirmed for Pitchfork's SXSW showcase at the Central Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas on March 15.
The space holds around 400 people, reserved only for badgeholders during the music conference -- that's not a lot of people to witness what may be Apple's first new songs since 2005's "Extraordinary Machine."
Epic's LA Reed Tweeted earlier this year that fans could expect her next album in a "few weeks," causing a spokesperson to reel that claim in. “It’ll absolutely be this year,” said the spokeswoman. "But timing wise, I don’t know exactly when.”
Every year breeds talk that it will be the year Apple releases new music, but even Apple herself mentioned that an album was finished -- and has been finished for more than a year. During a rare appearance at Largo in L.A. with frequent collaborator Jon Brion, Apple declined singing any of her new songs. "I can't remember [how to play] any of my new songs because they've been done for a f*cking year."
Apple has sung jazz and traditional tunes live in years after she was finished touring off of "Machines," and contributed some help to new recordings like the Buddy Holly cover "Everyday" for 2011's "Rave On Buddy Holly" tribute comp and "Hey Big Dog" on Margaret Cho's 2010 comedy album "Cho Independent."
SXSW may be Apple's larger-scale introduction to her new music.
Are you ready to have her back?
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013