Coachella Podcast: 7 Artists You Should Hear (Even If You're Not Going)
New Interpol remix by Salem, Twin Shadow, Tinie Tempah, Cults, Gayngs and more
Coachella may have expanded its lineup more and more over the years, but the desert is still an awfully good place to go dance and/or freak out.
Much of the emphasis at the Indio, Calif.-fest is still on electronic music, sometimes put through the filter of rock, hip-hop, pop, new wave and even folk. We've got a little mix of all of that, seven new songs and some new artists you should check out, even if you're not going to the three-day event this weekend (April 15-17).
First up is Twin Shadow, who's really just one dude: Dominican-born George Lewis Jr.'s track "Slow" may have you pining for your Police records, but its cooled down further by his croon and icy, icy beats. He released his debut album last year through Terrible Records, run by Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear, and 4AD. His next set will be out later this year. He's currently touring with Pains of Being Pure at Heart (sorry, just, meh) and, sometimes, Florence + the Machine.
Francis & the Lights, on the other hand, remind me of Phil Collins meeting Chromeo. You guessed it: man's got a lot of soul. The latest album is "It'll Be Better," which dropped last year; he's since toured with artists from Ke$ha to MGMT to Oh Land.
Upon hearing the name Cults, I didn't think it'd sound like this. With a slow groove on "Go Outside," that girlie voice and glaring layer of atmosphere, I expected something darker, and maybe it is a little. You should check out their Record Store Day release, with A-side "Abduction" for a touch more of that. The debut album will be out in May.
Of course, Interpol's been around for a long time, but you've never heard them like this. Real-life cult-ish band Salem gave "Try It On" a good remix. It, too, is part of Record Store Day's new releases.
Tinie Tempah is a strong new artist on EMI's roster, and has been tearing it up in his native U.K. His album "Disc-Overy" (whatever) is making its way to these shores in May also, and he'll find some sweet success if his current single "Written in the Stars" makes a strong impression on radio by this summer. "Pass Out" is another mega-catchy, grimy tune.
Fat Possum signees The Felice Brothers have expanded on their weird, rootsy music and let it wander into sludgy, unexplored new territories for forthcoming album "Celebration, Florida," due May 10. "Ponzi" is on sale now at digi retailers.
Gayngs is a collective of members from Bon Iver (who's had a notable day), Megafaun, The Rosebuds, Solid Gold and Doomtree. Songs from their album "Relayted" were deconstructed into stems then remixed by a number of producers for "regrinded" EP "Affiliyated," downloadable on the whole here.
Here is the tracklist for Immaculate Noise's 2011 Coachella Podcast:
Twin Shadow, "Slow"
Francis & the Lights, "Knees to the Floor"
Cults, "Go Outside"
Interpol, "Try It On" (Salem Remix)
Tinie Tempah, "Pass Out"
The Felice Brothers, "Ponzi"
Gayngs, "Fight, F*ck, Fall Asleep" (Cecil Otter Regrind feat. SIMS)
HitFix 2011 Coachella Podcast
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013