Bjork reuniting with Michel Gondry on new music project
Watch: French director's new video for now-ex-girlfriend Mia Doi Todd
The French film and music video director and the Icelandic singer are working on a new project together, which sounds to be on a scale bigger than a mere song video clip.
Gondry confirmed to me earlier today that a musical project is in the works, though stopping short on the details; The Playlist interviewed the director at the film portion of SXSW in Austin, with Gondry describing the video endeavor as "a very ambitious project, a sort of scientific musical... maybe more for museums. Like a 40-minute IMAX project in 3D."
He and Bjork have worked together on seven music videos together, including "Human Behaviour" and "Declare Independence."
Just last week an industry source revealed that Bjork, like always, had a few irons in the fire, including what was described as an orchestral piece. No telling yet if this and the Gondry project are one of the same, but it doesn't leave out the possibility of a more traditional effort. Request for comment from a Nonesuch spokesperson had not been received by press time.
Bjork's last album was "Volta," released in 2007; she released a single "Nattura" with Thom Yorke as part of an Icelandic ecology project of the same name. The organization has been largely dormant since last year.
As for Gondry, he spoke to HitFix in promotion of his forthcoming, small-scale release, the documentary "L'épine dans le coeur" ("Thorn in the Heart") which turns the lens on Gondry's own family, namely his strongheaded aunt and her son. That film played at Cannes last year, and screened at the South By Southwest Film Festival this past week.
As for other music-centered pieces, Gondry recently completed a playful music video for Mia Doi Todd's "Open Your Heart." Think people in colorful t-shirts doing synchronized moves, a la Feist's "1 2 3 4," only large scale and with Everymen and -women. See below.
She and Gondry were romantically linked... at least up until recently. Gondry hesitatingly said that they two just broke up.
"She's amazing. I love her music. I love her, but, anyway..."
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013