Beyonce calls for fans to cast her 'Best Thing I Never Had' video remake
Ladies, put back on your bridal veil: Cheap video made cheaper?
The No. 1 complaint I read about Beyonce's music video for "Best Thing I Never Had" -- my own voice included -- was that the release and result of the clip felt rushed, a half-baked idea to get Beyonce partly naked and in tip-top position to look beautiful beyond any substance.
Now, the singer seems to be taking a tack that makes the bare minimum concept even thriftier, though it may have fans clamoring to further wear emotions on their sleeves.
"Beyoncé is making an alternate fan video for her hit single 'Best Thing I Never Had,' and she wants home videos and photos from her fans joyous wedding day, or from a prom they’d rather forget," reads a release. "Fans can upload their wedding or prom video to YouTube and their wedding or prom photos to Flickr, and tag them with the following tag: #BeyonceBestThing."
The key here is fan. But as I ascertained in my original criticism of the vid, "Best Thing I Never Had" wasn't a story for the critics, it already was made specifically with a Beyonce fan in mind.
And perhaps this stunt is what Columbia had in mind all along -- and good for them, to give this leggy tune some extra lift as it makes its way through Top 40 rotation (having peaked at No. 23 thus far on The Hot 100). God knows, I love a wedding, particularly a real one and not one imagined up in a video marketing roundtable brainstorm session that included "golf course" and "extended garter shot" on the docket.
(As for prom home movies, the best "Prom Sucks And Nothing Helps Being 17 Year Old" video footage has likely been burn as evidence by now. To those video editors: sucks to be you right now.)
Don't get me wrong: I still love this tune, though some lyrics cause its only missteps. But my mouth is already mealy; like Gaga draped in a rainbow flag, I smell pandering. Not that I'm
particularly married, but to boast one's nuptials in lieu of jilting an ex seems, I dunno, petty? Besides the point? To live in YouTube infamy over a loosely choreographed dance of na-na-na-na-boo-boo could cheapen that dearly beloved .mov.
Here's the original, in case you dodged the bullet:
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013