Are The Shins and Modest Mouse bouncing back this summer?
Listen to a new Shins track, performed live
Two days after the initial announcement went out, Outside Lands has another major addition to its festival lineup. The Shins will be performing sometime over the weekend of Aug. 12-14 in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, their first live full-band show out since 2009.
Meanwhile, Modest Mouse has announced a scant few North Americanshows for the month of May, leading up to their appearance at Northwest-centric Sasquatch music festival in Seattle. Those are below. They also recently confirmed a stop in Australia for the Splendour in the Grass music festival
There's some overlap in the fandom of these two acts, but also importantly, there seems to be some crossover of one member, Joe Plummer.
The drummer has been working on side project Mister Heavenly (aka Michael Cera's band, sorry), but it seems he's now drummer for both The Shins and Modest Mouse. (Fun fact: Mister Heavenly is on Sub Pop, The Shins' old label, before James Mercer decided the next effort would be out on his own imprint.) He can be seen supporting Shin-man James Mercer when he broke out a new song live last month, posted below (via 24bit).
As I previously reported, Mercer has been hard at work on Broken Bells with Danger Mouse over the past year, most recently with their "Meyrin Fields" EP. It's a collaboration that "will continue to record and tour together for the foreseeable future," as said in a release. But like Beyonce and Glastonbury, the Outside Lands gig may signal the start of something new with that long-awaited Shins record.
A spokesperson for Modest Mouse indicated "there is no official info on a new album" at the time, but I wouldn't put it past Isaac Brock et al. to preview some new material live this Spring. (And for what it's worth, Modest Mouse also used to be on a prominent indie, Matador.)
And not to force it, but "Inception" score guitarist Johnny Marr did just quit The Cribs and may have some hours opening up (besides, y'know, two planned solo albums and movie soundtrack work)... The former Smiths guitarist toured with Modest Mouse toward the end of the '00s.
Both the Shins' and Modest Mouse's last proper studio releases were out in 2007.
Here are Modest Mouse's tour dates:
May 26 Boise, ID Knitting Factory
May 27 Missoula, MT Big Sky Brewery
May 28 Spokane, WA Knitting Factory
May 29 George, WA Sasquatch Music Festival (SOLD OUT)
News From Our Partners
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Go ahead and sample a third of the album, including 'I Appear Missing'Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Choirs, harpisocord, the Eternal and -- or course -- glorious pop musicMonday, May 13, 2013