Arcade Fire, Metallica, Feist, Black Keys prep exclusive Record Store Day releases
Merge and Warner Bros. announce some of their April 21 slate
Around this time of year, music news is dominated by South By Southwest, Coachella and Record Store Day news, all of which help drive the visibility of participating artists. For acts like Arcade Fire, Metallica, the Black Keys and Feist, today is just one of those days, for the RSD retail holiday on April 21. Merge Records and Warner Bros. have announced their current crop of exclusive, deluxe and rare releases.
Warner's collection of releases from affiliate labels including Sire, Nonesuch and Reprise will feature more than two dozen special inclusions. Metallica's "Beyond Magnetic" EP will get the 12", silver-colored vinyl treatment; The Black Keys' last album "El Camino" will be out deluxe vinyl packaged with a 45 rpm 7" single with previously unreleased live tracks "Sister" and "Money Maker"; Wilco and Billy Bragg's "Mermaid Avenue" sessions will be finally milked into a "Complete" 3-CD/1-DVD set with 17 unreleased songs and Kim Hopkins' "Man in the Sand" film; Red Hot Chili Peppers' first No. 1 album (double album, at that) "Stadium Arcadium" will be in deluxe vinyl in time for their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction; Dr. John's new, forthcoming, Dan Auerback-produced album "Locked Down" on vinyl; and Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin's "Respect" side-by-side on gold 7" vinyl, which will clearly be your new favorite object.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The Mastodon and Feist split is detailed with the former covering the latter's "A Commotion" and the latter covering the former's "Black Tongue," which will be obviously worth your while and totally sick. Mastodon is also on a split with the Flaming Lips, featuring the Oklahoma band's "Soft Bulletin" original "A Spoonful Weighs a Ton" and the metal band doing their take of it. Flaming Lips are expected to release details soon of a whole collaborative covers album, which may be what Warner is alluding to when it said, "Expect exciting news from The Flaming Lips regarding their very special, limited RSD exclusive release. Stay tuned!"
As previously reported, Metallica have their own curated festival, Orion Music + More, to launch this summer.
Check out details on all of Warner's announced RSD releases here, including info on drops from Common, Eric Clapton, Gary Clarke Jr., MC5...
Meanwhile, "Hunger Games" soundtrack contributors Arcade Fire have slated an RSD drop of "Sprawl II"/"Ready to Start" remixes on 12" via Merge for Record Store Day. Both tracks were reduxed by the band and Damian Taylor; the featured "Sprawl II" remix can be experienced through this interactive video, while the remixed "Ready to Start" was available on "The Suburbs" deluxe reissue, which dropped late last year.
Destroyer's excellent "Rubies" will be on -- naturally -- ruby red vinyl for a double-LP reissue. Richard Buckner's "Willow" will be backed by "Lost" on 7", with an additional ungh of a cover of The Cars' "Candy-O. And M. Ward will further promote his new album "A Wasteland Companion" with a single "Primitive Girl" b/w original, new song "The Twist" and a cover of Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven."
Before I forget, here is a video of Gary Clarke Jr. blazing your face off from the White House:
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013