Arcade Fire, Destroyer, Ron Sexsmith score 2011 Polaris Music Prize shortlist spot
Of the 10 artists and albums named, who deserves this indie-happy award?
Like many independent music lovers, I grow tired, bored or, often, angry at the lack of unknowns named as nominess for the Grammy Awards. But outside the U.S., there are awards shows that open the door to lesser-known albums, including the Mercury Prize in the U.K. and the Polaris Music Prize in Canada.
The latter's organizers announce this year's shortlist of nominees today, which include world-renowned Canadians Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs," of course, but there's also some shockers and newcomers to uphold.
Here are the shortlist of artists and albums up for the 2011 Polaris prize:
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Austra – Feel It Break
Braids – Native Speaker
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Destroyer – Kaputt
Galaxie – Tigre et diesel
Hey Rosetta – Seeds
Ron Sexsmith – Long Player Late Bloomer
Timber Timbre – Creep On Creepin’ On
The Weeknd – House Of Balloons
Ron Sexsmith is a perennial favorite up there, and even though the prize has been around only since 2006, it's surprising that this mark's Destroyer's first appearance on the shortlist. And Stetson's connection to Arcade Fire as a touring saxophonist couldn't have hurt him.
But perhaps the biggest shocker is the inclusion of The Weeknd's "House of Balloons," as it was released as a free mixtape through the mysterious songwriter's website in time for the eligibility period. I'd love to see the Grammys come up with a wild card like that.
Those are debut albums from Austra, Timber Timbre, Braids and Galaxie; the latter seems to be the sole French-only lyricist on the list.
I'll admit that I haven't spun "Tigre et Diesel" or "Native Speaker" ever before, so I'm certainly planning on brushing up. Arcade Fire's album was supurb, but I would love to see a lesser-known take the honor, particularly Destroyer, or, hell, why not one of the lady-led groups like Austra or Braids?
Winners will be awarded C$30,000 this year, with the winner announced on Sept. 19.
Who do you like from the list?
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013