Will Gary Oldman finally land an Oscar nod for 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'?
Watch the international trailer for the new thriller
When you look over the list of acclaimed actors and actresses who haven't even received an Academy Award nomination let alone won one the names are startling. In fact, you'll probably swear there's been a mistake somewhere. Mia Farrow must have been nominated at least once for "Rosemary's Baby," right? Martin Sheen was honored for "Apocolypse Now"? John Cusack was honored for "Being John Malkovich," "High Fidelity" or "Bullets Over Broadway" wasn't he? Nope, none of them were. And you can add another eye-popping name to that list, Gary Oldman.
The 53-year-old actor is revered by his peers for his roles in films such as "Sid and Nancy," "Prick Up Your Ears," "The Contender," "JFK," "True Romance" and, most recently, as Commissioner Gordon in "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight." Unfortunately, years of playing the bad guy in blockbusters such as "Air Force One," "The Fifth Element," "Dracula" and "Lost in Space" may have paid the paychecks, but kept him out of the more quality prestige pics that tend to provide actors the kudos they deserve (fellow Brit Alan Rickman understand this as much as anyone).
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Focus Features is releasing the Working Title feature in the U.S. this November, but because it is scheduled for release in the UK this September, a new trailer has hit the web giving us our first look at the thriller. Immaculately cut, the preview shows that Tomas Alfredson's masterful style in "Let the Right One In" wasn't a fluke. It also teases that Oldman may have found that showcase role the Academy could easily embrace. And if not, he's got John Hillcoat's "The Wettest Country in the World" in the can. That drama is scheduled for 2012, it could easily slip into a December release date. Either way, don't expect Oldman to go unrecognized by Oscar much longer.
Watch the trailer embedded in this post and share your thoughts below.
For year round entertainment commentary follow Gregory Ellwood on twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013