Whit Stillman returns with 'Damsels in Distress' to close the 2011 Venice Film Festival
Not many surprises in official Biennale di Venezia lineup
La Biennale di Venezia 2011 (aka the 2011 Venice Film Festival) announced its 68th round of selections today and a long absent American filmmaker is making his long awaited return.
Whit Stillman, who is known for the indie classic "Metropolitan," "Barcelona" and "the Last Days of Disco," will debut his first film in 13 years, "Damsels in Distress." The comedy stars Gerta Gerwig and Adam Brody and will play out of competition as the festival's closing night film on Sept. 10.
As expected, Al Pacino's "Wild Salome," Madonna's "W.E" and Steven Soderbergh's "Contagion" will also premiere out of competition.
The films competing for the Golden Lion this year pretty much lined up to the leaked list earlier this week. Tomas Alfredson's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," Andrea Arnold's "Wuthering Heights," Ami Cannan Mann's "Texas Killing Fields," Cristina Comencini's "Quando La Notte," Emanuele Crialese's "Terraferma," David Cronenberg's "A Dangerous Method," Abel Ferrara's "4:44 Last Day on Earth," William Friedkin's "Killer Joe," Philippe Garrel's "Un ete Brulant," Ann Hui's "Taojie (A Simple Life)," Eran Kolirin's "Hahithalfut (The Exhchange)," Yorgos Lanthimos' "Alps," Steve McQueen's "Shame," Gian Alfonso Pacinotti's "L'Ultimo Terrerstre," Roman Polanski's "Carnage," Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnauld's "Poulet Aux Prunes," Aleksander Sokurov's "Faust," Todd Solondz' "Dark Horse," Sion Sono's "Himizu" and Te-Sheng Wei's "Seediq Bale."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
As for other American films, James Franco's "Sal" will debut in the new trends in world cinema selections as will Jonathan Demme's documentary "I'm Carolyn Parker: The Good, The Mad and The Beautiful."
The 2011 Venice Film Festival begins on August 31 and ends on Sept. 10. The opening night film was previously announced as George Clooney's "The Ides of March" with Clooney, Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood.
Look for complete coverage of the competing Venice festivals, Telluride and Toronto, on HitFix over the next month and during the annual kick-off for awards season.
For year round entertainment commentary and awards season news follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013