Picking Critics over the People's Choice
Look for live blogging of the Critic's Choice Awards tonight
What a day.
I get my first official HitFix comment (“Idiot boy”) for not remembering “WALL-E” was ineligible for a WGA nomination (I’m so glad you cared enough to post! And then apologize!).
Mickey Rourke continues his insane comeback by jumping aboard “Iron Man 2”*
*Dear Jon Favreau, please change the title of this flick to “Iron Man: When Whiplash Attacks” or “Iron Man II,” but whatever you do, please save us from the tacky no. “2.” You avoided “Swingers 2” and gave us “Made” instead. No reason you can’t do the same here.
McKellen gets all randy on the first day of TCAs.
“Watchmen” legal dispute seems to have a deadline (we think).
“Twilight” nation is at peace knowing Taylor Lautner has another five years before he’s starring on Sci-Fi network TV movies.
Tori Spelling is finally returning to the new “90210” (not that anyone cares anymore).
I sat through a truly horrible January release that made me want to see another horrible January release four times in a row to wash my mouth of it.
Oh, and the People’s Choice Awards were announced tonight. Whoopee. A show with categories almost as embarrassing as the American Music Awards or the MTV Movie Awards (at least they are trying to be funny). But, if you really care, here are the winners.
— Movie: "The Dark Knight"
— Family movie: "WALL-E"
— Action movie: "The Dark Knight"
— Comedy movie: "27 Dresses"
— Drama movie: "The Secret Life of Bees"
— Independent movie: "The Secret Life of Bees"
— Favorite cast: "The Dark Knight"
— Male movie star: Will Smith
— Leading man: Brad Pitt
— Male action star: Will Smith
— Female movie star: Reese Witherspoon
— Leading lady: Kate Hudson
— Female action star: Angelina Jolie
— On-screen matchup: Christian Bale and Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
— Superhero: Christian Bale as Batman, "The Dark Knight"
— TV drama: "House"
— TV comedy: "Two and a Half Men"
— TV animated comedy: "The Simpsons"
— Sci-fi/fantasy show: "Heroes"
— Reality show: "Dancing With the Stars"
— Game show: "Deal or No Deal"
— Male TV star: Hugh Laurie
— Female TV star: Christina Applegate
— Talk show host: Ellen DeGeneres
— Scene-stealing guest star: Robin Williams, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
— TV drama diva: Kyra Sedgwick as Brenda Johnson, "The Closer"
— New TV comedy: "Gary Unmarried"
— New TV drama: "The Mentalist"
— Male singer: Chris Brown
— Female singer: Carrie Underwood
— Group: Rascal Flatts
— R&B song: Alicia Keys, "No One"
— Pop song: Katy Perry, "I Kissed a Girl"
— Rock song: Kid Rock, "All Summer Long"
— Country song: Carrie Underwood, "Last Name"
— Hip-hop song: Flo Rida featuring T-Pain, "Low"
— Combined forces: Jordin Sparks featuring Chris Brown, "No Air"
— Song from a soundtrack: "Mamma Mia" from "Mamma Mia!"
— Funny male star: Adam Sandler
— Funny female star: Tina Fey
— Star under 35: Carrie Underwood
— Online sensation: "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog"
— User-generated video: "Barack Roll"
Much more exciting, is the prospect of the first real “live” awards show of the season, The Critic’s Choice Awards, airing tonight at 8 PM ET/PT on VH1. Of course, its one show that really means nada in the context of Awards Season, but we’re crashing at a buddies house (he's got Dish) and gonna blog it live just so you can (A) avoid wasting two hours of your Thursday night or (B) laugh away the pain with snarky ol’ me.
In any event, it’s also a test run on my live blogging skills before this Sunday’s Golden Globe Awards (basically, if I suck Fienberg ain’t letting me within 5 miles of a computer during a real asards show). We’ll see. As always, your feedback (something other than “idiot boy” please) is appreciated.
Speaking of the Globes, check out this, um, highlight reel NBC made available this week. Doesn’t it make you just want to throw one back at the Beverly Hilton with everyone else in town?
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013