Nicole Kidman returns to form in new 'Rabbit Hole' preview
First trailer pulls new punches for John Cameron Mitchell's latest
Nothing is more disheartening than when a studio pulls what's known as a "cheat" when creating a movie trailer or TV spot. That usually means cutting material to make the picture look like it's something that it's not. Most of the time, it's used to make a comedy look much funnier than it is, but it can even be done to position a picture as more "important" than it is (see the latest trailer for "Made in Dagenham," a movie this pundit is actually a fan of). It's refreshing then, that Lionsgate isn't pulling any punches with the new preview for "Rabbit Hole."
Both HitFix's Drew McWeeny and I are big fans of John Cameron Mitchell's startling drama which was one of the big surprises at the 2010 Toronto Film Festival. Easy to pass off as another drama about a couple dealing with the death of their child, the adaptation of David Lindsay-Abaire's Pulitzer Prize winning play is also a spot on exploration of mother and daughter relations. Moreover, the picture features fantastic performances across the board from Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart and Diane Weist. The latter is already a leading contender in the best supporting actress race, but it's Kidman's turn which is the most impressive.
Since winning an Oscar for "The Hours," Kidman has seemed to sleepwalk through roles in pictures such as "Cold Mountain," "Birth," "Margot at the Wedding" and "Australia." It's not that Kidman wasn't good, but it's been a long time since she has been as raw and real as she is in "Rabbit Hole." You get more than a glimpse of that in the new trailer embedded above.
What do you think?
"Rabbit Hole" opens in select theaters on Dec. 17.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013