Watch: Jim Carrey is gay, gay, gay in new 'Phillip Morris' red band trailer
The Sundance flick is finally hitting theaters with a smart new campaign
It's hard to believe it's been almost two years since "I Love You Phillip Morris" debuted at the Sundance Film Festival. While the Luc Besson produced dramedy opened to strong reviews across the globe, American moviegoers were the victim of one bad distribution squabble after another. Now, with the on a roll Roadside Attractions behind it, "Phillip Morris" is finally hitting theaters this December and you'll finally be able to catch what could be the performance of Jim Carrey's career.
To say Carrey goes all out as Steven Russell, a real life con man, who just happens to be "gay, gay, gay, gay, gay," is an understatement. When Russell came out to his wife (played by Leslie Mann), he jumped into the gay scene and discovered just how expensive being a single gay man can be (oh, the pressure). So, one thing led to another and so began a new career path in fraud. It's when he was sentenced to jail for his crimes and meets the love of his life, fellow inmate Phillip Morris (a great Ewan McGregor), that his misadventures really began.
For more on the film, you can read my original Sundance post here. In the meantime, check out this impressive new red band trailer that proves just how commercially viable "Phillip Morris" could be and why Carrey deserves some serious attention in the best actor race (not that he'll get it).
"I Love You Phillip Morris" opens in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco on Dec. 3.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013