Watch: Jeff Bridges shows 'True Grit' in Coens' new Western
New preview debuts for the Christmas contender
Sometimes it pays to be last. Every other major winter release and Oscar contender has already released a preview, but the Coens' "True Grit" was intentionally quiet. Now, just in time for the debut of "Grit" producer Scott Rudin's other contender, "The Social Network," "Grit" finds it way onto the awards season landscape.
A remake of the 1969 Henry Hathaway western which won John Wayne his first Academy Award and was actually based on Charles Portis' novel, "Grit" tells the story of a young girl (newcomer Hailee Steinfeld) who recruits a U.S. Marshall (Jeff Bridges in the Wayne role) to help her track down her father's murderer (James Brolin). Matt Damon and Barry Pepper are also along for the ride.
A fellow journalist recently told this pundit he'd heard from a good source it was a "rollicking adventure," but that seemed like insider spin considering the darker elements in the story and the Coens' involvement. Watching the new preview, there are certainly sequences that look like an epic chase, but make no mistake, this is the Coens' in revenge mode -- through the eyes of their underage heroine.
You can watch the trailer embedded in this page. Do you think it's a contender or a pretender? Share your thoughts below.
"True Grit" opens nationwide on Dec. 25.
News From Our Partners
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013