Watch: Funny or Die uses Megan Fox to bring Billy Crystal back to Oscar
Has everyone forgotten about Eddie Murphy already?
- Critic's Rating B-
- Readers' Rating B-
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences teamed up with Funny or Die to create the first promo for this year's 84th Academy Awards which debuted today online. Not surprisingly, it centers on the search for this year's host, the legendary Billy Crystal.
It's only a minute long, but, it's not as, um, funny as you'd hope it would be. Robin Williams, Josh Duhamel, Megan Fox, William Fichtner and Vinnie Jones guest star, but I found the J.J. Abrams-esque flares the hippest thing about the promo. The rest of it feels like it would have been more effective after the first "Transformers" movie four years ago, but then again after the insane in and out of the show's former non-host Eddie Murphy and, um, "disgraced" (?) former co-producer Brett Ratner, something familiar and smile-inducing was obviously needed. Hence, the return of the eight-time former emcee surrounded by some familiar faces (not to mention a former host in Williams amongst them).
The trailer will have a one-month run in more than 2,000 theaters beginning this weekend. If you aren't heading to your local multiplex anytime soon, you can watch this year's Oscar trailer below.
The 84th Academy Awards will be held on Sunday, Feb. 26 and air live on ABC.
What do you think of this year's Oscar commercial, er, trailer? Share your thoughts below and give it a grade at the top of this post.
For year round entertainment commentary and awards season news follow @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013