'Tron Legacy' and 'Narnia' ready to rule December
Watch: Producer and Disney prez Sean Bailey talks 3-D
When pre-release polling hit studio E-mail in boxes this past Monday, Sean Bailey no doubt took a huge sigh of relief. Along with Walden Media and 20th Century Fox's "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader," Bailey's pet project "Tron Legacy" is tracking as though it will hit theaters like a monster. Both films should be two of the biggest openings since the summer season. Considering how much the studio has invested in production and marketing the film for over three years, that's very good news.
For "Narnia," a big holiday opening would put the franchise back on track after Walden had a testy break up with Disney following the disappointing summer run of "Prince Caspian." It's clear fans of the franchise want less dark and gloomy drama and more fantastical, smile-inducing magic. Thankfully, C.S. Lewis' "Voyage" is perfectly constructed to deliver such CG wonders. And after the success of the inaugural "the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," not many are that surprised the series will make a comeback. As for "Legacy," the risks are much greater.
Bailey is the new President of Production at Walt Disney Studios, but before that made a splash at the Mouse House by shepherding the long gestating "Tron" sequel. However, his producer resume also includes such notable films as Ridley Scott's "Matchstick Men" and longtime collaborator Ben Affleck's "Gone Baby Gone." The new Disney has a lot at stake with "Legacy" though which is why the pressure is on for Bailey with one of his first film's out of the gate. The studio already has a sequel in the works and has announced an animated TV series for the Disney XD channel. "Legacy" needs to be big and it needs to be a hit. And so far, so good (at least according to tracking).
I spoke to Bailey last July at Comic-Con at a special "Tron Legacy" set -- a nod to the film's End of the Line bar -- and it was clear the once blunt producer had segued to a more conservative and cautious studio president tone. However, he did discuss the concerns over too much 3-D and the intriguing possibility of whether we'll see "Tron" rides at Disney theme parks anytime soon. You can watch the interview embedded in the post above.
Additionally, check out two recently released clips from "Legacy" below. The event flick won't make the best picture cut, but its score (Daft Punk), production design, sound, costumes and visual effects make it a major player in those categories.
"Tron Legacy" opens nationwide and in IMAX on Dec. 17.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013