Tina Fey and Sacha Baron Cohen hope to crack Oscar up
The cast of 'Jersey Shore' to parody Oscar's biggest contenders
Oscar producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic may have had their first choice to host the Academy Awards swatted down by the Academy board, but they have still found a way to get Sacha Baron Cohen on the big show.
It was announced today Cohen will make his first appearance on this year's 82nd Academy Awards to present an award. Cohen has previously only appeared in person, and not as one of his famously outlandish characters, to present at the Golden Globe Awards. Joining him are returning presenters Tina Fey, Steve Carell and Ben Stiller. Additionally, Jason Bateman has attend the show previously, but this will be the first time he will present. Fey had a very memorable bit with this year's co-host Steve Martin during last year's show as did Ben Stiller alongside Natalie Portman.
On a side note, Bateman stars in "Up in the Air," one of the Best Picture nominees. He also appeared in former Best Picture nominee "Juno."
In other "comedy" Oscar news, the cast of "Jersey Shore" have been recruited to reenact scenes from Best Picture nominees on "Lopez Tonight." In a coup for the TBS talk show, Snooki, "The Situation," Pauly D., Sammi, J-Wow, Vinnie and Ronnie will parody cinema's finest films this year including "Avatar," "Hurt Locker," "Up In The Air," "Precious," "Inglorious Bastards" and "Blind Side" (no word if they were intoxicated or not during the shoots, but we're hoping). The different parodies will appear all next week, March 1-4 on "Lopez Tonight." George Lopez's talk show airs at 11 PM ET/PT on TBS.
We think if Shankman and Mechanic really wanted to shake things up this year, they should have recruited the "Jersey Shore" clan to present, but knowing that group they'd never never pry them away from the open bar off camera.
All the laughs begin on Sunday, March 7 on ABC at 8 PM ET/ 5 PM PT. Look for complete coverage all day long on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013