'Thor,' 'X-Men,' 'Transformers' and 'Tree of Life' among 15 official Oscar Visual Effects contenders
If it was a summer blockbuster it's on the list
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences revealed the top 15 films in contention for the 2012 Visual Effects Oscar today and there were hardly any surprises.
Dominated by summer blockbusters, the Academy's Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee will narrow the list down to 10 in early January. At that time, all members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view 10-minute excerpts of the shortlisted films on Thursday, January 19. At that point, the branch members will vote to nominate five films for Oscar consideration.
The 15 films announced today are as follows:
"Captain America: The First Avenger"
"Cowboys & Aliens"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2"
"Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol"
"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides"
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
"The Tree of Life"
"X-Men: First Class"
The 84th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 24, 2012, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Who do you think will make the final five VFX nominees? Share your thoughts below.
For year round entertainment commentary and awards season news follow @HitFixGregory on Twitter.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- William Bradley: Mad Men: 'Chevy Is Spelled Wrong!' PHOTOS: The Bluth Banana Stand Is Here! WATCH: Elisabeth Moss Was Nervous About Peggy's Future
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013