Surprise: Billy Crystal wants to host the Oscars again
After the startling news that the Academy was bringing back last year's Oscar co-producer Don Misher and teaming him with, um, Brett Ratner (lord, it's gonna be a long season) it appears one of the award show's most famous faces has seen an opening.
Speaking at a 20th anniversary screening of "City Slickers" at the Areo Theater in Santa Monica, CA, eight-time Oscar host Billy Crystal made it clear he was ready to polish that monologue one more time.
According to the LA Times, Crystal was quoted as saying, "It got to be too much after a while and the sameness in my life. That's why I pulled back. And then when I thought I might want to do it again, they were on to other people. It's always fun. It's really hard, but maybe one or two more times? I don't know. They know where I am."
The truth is Crystal has wanted to host again for years, but the producers and the Academy brass were trying to go in new directions. And after Crystal's 2004 gig it was clear, at least for the moment, that the comedian's Shtick had gotten a bit stale. That lead to some intriguing but temporary choices including Chris Rock (the David Letterman of the 00's), Jon Stewart (so nice he came back one more time), Ellen DeGeneres (way too tame), Hugh Jackman (classy but not looking to do it again), the Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin combo (that didn't work) and this past year's pairing of Anne Hathaway and James Franco (that really didn't work). Besides the happy memories of his run in the '90s to wash away the pain of last year's disaster, Crystal has something else on his side: ratings. Since 2001, no show has pulled in a bigger rating number than when Crystal landed a 26.68 in his last go around. It's worth noting, however, that was the first year the show aired in February and the popular "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" was crowned champ. Rock actually did almost as well hitting 25.29 with the less audience friendly "Million Dollar Baby" creating little drama the following year. Since then? A ratings roller coaster. Let's be clear, ABC wouldn't mind Crystal's return, even if it meant the younger demo deserts the program for a year.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
In the history of Oscar hosts, it took the Academy a long time to find a regular replacement for the "original" emcee Bob Hope. That turned out to be Johnny Carson. After Carson stepped away after the 1984 show, it was six years until Crystal came on the scene. Should the Academy really delay it's ongoing search for the next "regular" host one more year? Considering all the problems caused by this past year's fracas, safe may be the best option all around.
Do you think Billy Crystal should host this year's show? Or, has his time passed? Share your thoughts below.
For year-round entertainment commentary and Oscar news follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013